Denise Goldberg's blog

Panniers, a trailer, both?

For the touring cyclist... how much did you say you need with you
And where are you going to put it?

Sunday, January 18, 2009

Every choice works

There isn't a right or a wrong choice. It's all about what is best for you, and what is best for your trip.

My thoughts...

I've toured both with panniers and with a trailer, and there is a big difference in bike handling between the two. I like the feel of the bike better with the trailer; the bike definitely has a more loaded feel with panniers. I find that both slow me down on uphills equally - it really comes down to the feeling for me. What I'll probably do on future trips is to use panniers for credit card touring (less stuff = lots less weight) and a trailer for fully loaded touring. I don't think I'm totally contradicting my prime choice of trailer because you also need to consider the overall weight. The bike handling is very different with a full load, but if I'm only carrying a minimal amount of clothing and a few toilet articles the weight of panniers isn't that much, and the bike handling changes aren't the same as with a full load.

Some selections for me, based on the type of trip and the amount of gear I'm hauling:
  • Fully loaded - trailer
  • Credit card, traveling by air to get to my destination - trailer. Remember - the case for my Bike Friday turns into the trailer
  • Credit card, no plane or train needed - minimal gear in 2 panniers
  • Credit card, train in one direction - minimal gear in 2 panniers, Bike Friday with soft carrying case. I can fold my bike and put it in a shoulder bag and carry it on to the train.