Denise Goldberg's blog

Panniers, a trailer, both?

For the touring cyclist... how much did you say you need with you
And where are you going to put it?

Sunday, January 18, 2009

Front and rear

OK, you've decided to use panniers. The next choice is how many? For fully loaded touring, I think your best bet is 4. That way you can spread the load and have a bicycle that is easier to handle than one that has all of the weight in the rear. And - you can more easily isolate your clothing, tent, and sleeping bag from the odors of food and fuel. That's a pretty important consideration if you're traveling in bear country.

For credit card touring, you can probably get away with 2 panniers. My choice here is to use just the rear panniers. And in fact, I'd probably use my front panniers on the back because they are smaller. (If I felt I needed the space in my rear panniers, I'd probably be more likely to take my trailer.)

I did meet another cyclist on the road who was traveling fully loaded (camping, without carrying cooking gear) but with much less gear than I was using (I think I may need to take a lesson from him...) He had only two panniers, and he had them on a front low-rider rack. He said that he preferred the bike handling that way.

I can't verify the front only setup since I've never tried it myself. As with everything else here, the choice is yours!